Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.







After having this audiobook on my iPod for so long, I thought it was about time I finally listened to it. I spend a lot of my time driving to and from work, so I thought it was the perfect opportunity. I will admit, I've not been fully into these kind of books for a while - and when I say 'these kind of books', I mean sappy contemporary books - but I thought 'why not?'

The Distance Between Us is about the differences between rich and poor which wasn't what I expected at all, that's because I'm lazy and I didn't read the synopsis before I pressed play on the audiobook. I was glad it wasn't about separation though, and I liked the idea of the story.
Our main protagonist Caymen helps run her mothers doll store, and that already creeps me out. I hate those creepy-arse dolls and I love that she mentions in this book that she has had nightmares before of them coming to life. I would too. *shudders*
What I like about Caymen is her sarcasm. As I speak sarcasm daily, I felt like I could understand where she was coming from and I couldn't help but laugh at how she was with people. Not everyone understands sarcasm and that was portrayed in this book. There was also the aspect of the whole 'rich/poor' thing. I do like that the protagonist didn't feel too sorry for herself, especially hanging out with the rich people to rub it in on how poor she was. Caymen did what she had to do to try and help her mothers business and kept a cool head, which I found was nice as I hate characters who wallow in sadness about it.

Anyway, Caymen meets a regular customer's grandson, Xander (and I have to say, the "guessing" over who he was...I guessed it instantly, as would everyone but the protag) who is from a rich family and has life pretty easy. Or does he? *dramatic music* Yeah, his life is alright, except from his dickhead father.

Caymen and Xander form a bond and they decide to help each other decide what they want to do with their lives with 'Career Days'. They spend Saturdays doing random things that they might consider as a job and not the jobs their parents want them to do. I think the idea was cute! The various things they did were interesting, and I think that it was basically a way to just spend time together doing weird shit. Bless..

The story did have things that bothers me about these kind of books - no communication. I hate that characters just assume the guy is hanging out with a girl and they're like 'IT'S HIS GIRLFRIEND. I'm sure it is. I won't ask him though, and I will just secretly pine for him but also ignore him because of it' just...fucking ask him. "So, is that your girlfriend? No? Cool, just wondering' it's that simple! People just don't talk, and they make assumptions which goes on for ages and evokes sadness, silent treatments and time spent apart due to their inability to have a proper conversation.
That is one thing I liked about Xander though, he did just ask what he wanted to know and I liked his confidence.

Also involved in the story was a secret on her mothers side, and I hate to say this but I guessed it instantly. I knew who the guy asking about Susan was, and I knew what she was hiding. I would say I love being right but I wish it wasn't predictable.

I liked all the characters though, they were all fun and interesting. I also did like that the "other guy" isn't a massive douche. He was a bit annoying but I was glad he wasn't a 'villain' just because he is the other guy. Caymen's best friend Sky (I'm not sure if it's Skye or Sky as I was listening to the book) met a guy who is in a band, and I think the band's name is hilarious and a typical name for a wannabe rock band. I haven't loved a band's name this much since the D-Bags in Thoughtless.

I will say that I felt the ending finished a bit flat. The audiobook said there was another 50 minutes and it just......ended so suddenly. I was a bit surprised and I don't think it fully wrapped things up, but I guess it's not a big fantasy series where we had to know everything or tie any loose ends. I guess it was nice enough, if not a bit sappy as I mentioned earlier.

If you like books with a lot of sarcasm, laughs and something lighthearted, this would be a good one to go to. I would recommend it as a summer beach read, and as summer is coming up, why not pick this one up for your beach bag. Not a bad book.





What summer reads are you picking up this year? And will The Distance Between Us be one of them? Let us know! We'd love to hear from you. You can either leave a comment down below or find us at any of the following social outlets: