So, here are our twin passions in life: coffee and books. (Also art for Lexie, and also travel for both, but they aren't relevant to this tag right now, so we're pretending there are two.) Coffee and books. Such a thing as a Coffee Book Tag was therefore heaven-sent. And while Benjamin, the creator of the tag, didn't have us in mind specifically when he was putting it together, he might as well have. We were probably sipping coffee and discussing books at the time of this tag's creation.

If you're anything like us, you already either have an espresso at hand, or a serious espresso craving right about now. And both coffees and cravings are best served hot during the winter. So without further ado...


1. Black: Name a series that's tough to get into but has hardcore fans


Lexie: For myself, this is a cause-and-effect situation. If a series has a hardcore, widespread fanbase, then that makes it intimidating to get into, in case I don't feel the same. And for me, the most prominent of those is currently the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. (Though I expect I will feel the same, because wintertime fantasy kick)

Natalie: Personally, I found the 'Maze Runner' series difficult to get into. Noted, I did finish book one but I could't read anymore. I know the fandom are fairly hardcore so I'll have to say that one.


2. Peppermint mocha: Name a book that gets more popular during the winter or a festive time of year




Natalie: I guess you can't go wrong with the ol' classic 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens. It's a truly wonderful read for the holiday season and will certainly get you into the Christmas mood! 

Lexie: Obligatory Harry Potter mention goes here. There is no book which reminds me of Christmas more, and this is very likely why I tend to notice it more around this time of year. Harry Potter is a year-round love, really. But during Christmas - much like everything else - it shines.


3. Hot chocolate: What is your favorite children's book





Lexie: Barring the obvious, I think the cleverest children's book I've read (embarrassingly, as a young adult) is A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle. A four-dimensional cube as a main plot device in children's lit is beyond impressive.

Natalie: I'll have to say 'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe' by C.S Lewis. Before I discovered Harry Potter, I was reading and re-reading this book. Such a marvelous story for children to read, so adventurous and magical!


4. Double shot of espresso: Name a book that kept you on the edge of your seat from start to finish





Natalie: The first book that comes to mind is 'The Hunger Games' by Suzanne Collins. Such an exciting and enthralling book from start to finish, fast paced and action-packed. 

Lexie: Recently, the most prominent one was Cress by Marissa Meyer, which was pretty much read in one sitting, because oh my god.

5. Starbucks: Name a book you see everywhere





Lexie: Ever since its publication in November of 2014, A Thousand Pieces of You has been everywhere. It is a beautiful, beautiful book that no one has actually read yet, because the cover is so pretty and we can't stop staring

Natalie: Every book by John Green? I'll say 'The Fault In Our Stars' because that book is everywhere you look. I wish I liked it more but I didn't. Don't hate me. It's just not my cup of tea at all, so seeing this book all the time is a little annoying to me.


6. That hipster coffee shop: Give a book by an indie author a shoutout




Natalie: Not sure if this is indie, but more people should read it, and that's 'Lies We Tell Ourselves' by Robin Talley. I recommend that you try this book, it's wonderfully written and has such a gripping story and heartbreaking moments that really happened in history.

Lexie: So, this isn't strictly-speaking an indie author, because the book was published through a traditional (albeit quite indie) publisher - BookFish Books - but it is nevertheless one that hasn't gotten enough attention and deserves a shoutout. It is This Is Sarah by Ally Malienko.

7. Oops! I accidentally got decaf: Name a book you were expecting more from





Lexie: (Decaf, the horror!) This would have to go to The One by Kiera Cass. The mistake, I think, was in marketing this trilogy as dystopian (or anything other than romance, which is what it actually is). Having gotten very little in terms of worldbuilding and the actual dystopian aspect of the story in the first two books, I expected it all to come into play in this finale. Also, I expected for the protagonist to finally become more decisive. Alas, none of the two came to pass.

Natalie: I'd have to instantly say 'We Were Liars' by E. Lockhart. I really wanted to get through this book, it's a very well-loved story, but I couldn't get into it. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not for me. I had high expectations from the amount of people raving about it and was disappointed.


8. The perfect blend: Name a book or series that was both bitter and sweet but ultimately satisfying


Natalie: I think 'Mockingjay' by Suzanne Collins. It was definitely bittersweet! After so many people died and the aftermath of what had happened to them both, Katniss and Peeta are still able to carry on with their lives, grow up and start a family. It was a happy ending but still had so much tragedy and heartache. 

Lexie: Dare I say it? I feel like this is the series I mention in every post, but for me, the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series was a fantastic blend of sweet, then bitter, then sweet, then still more bitter, then the bitterest of all, then a dose of sugar, and then all of it combined. No shortage of hard times, but ultimately, a very gratifying... middle. Because that series goes on forever. In our hearts. Like the coffee on our tongues. Quite some poet I am. I'll shut up now.






Never mind us. We're just taking a coffee break. In the meantime, we're tagging a few of our fellow book bloggers whose blogs we enjoy: Stephanie from City of Fandoms, Amaris from Amarisafloria, and Lex from Book Wonderland. Have fun with the tag, girls!