[Insert mandatory complaint/exclamation about how time flies by really fast.]


In some ways, June really seems to have flown by. In other ways, however, it's been dragging out for quite awhile. We've discovered that one of the perks of running a blog is that we can look back to the beginning of the month and our first review of each month and marvel at how long ago it seems. Books are therefore good for yet another thing: in enabling us to live a thousand lives, we also live years in characters' lives each month. We disrupt the system, fall in love, fight monsters, do battle, develop abilities, travel, learn, change, grow, evolve - and do it many times over in 30 days.

There's no shortage of adventures when you're a reader.

This month, we've dealt with jobs, school, finals, friends, family, parties, meetings, chores, and many other things that will invariably crop up every so often, whether expected or otherwise. Even so, we've made sure to devote some time to reading and this blog. 


And without further ado, here's the summary of the books we've read in June...



Lexie's June 2014 Wrap-up



Summary: In March and April, it rained cats and dogs where I live. I also went through the mandatory cold/flu/allergies which confined me to a bed quite a lot. I ended up reading 15 books each month (!) and it seems to have inadvertently raised my expectations regarding my overall reading quite a lot. I got a bit too wrapped up in the quantity and seem to have started an unintended race against myself. Thankfully, I've now officially broken the cycle and re-learned to appreciate quality over quantity once more. 
This month I've had finals for most of June to contend with, not to mention the end-of-semester papers and projects. Consequently, I've read 9,5 books. (I say "and a half" because I'm exactly halfway through Kat Rosenfield's "Inland" as we speak.) Having said that, I've discovered a trilogy this month that's become one of my favorites, I've read two ARCs (graciously provided by the publishers via NetGalley) and I've given myself enough time to go for a few summer reads to brighten the time I was hauled up indoors, studying.
And this month has brought some variety, as well. I've given a 2-star rating, which are few and far between for me. I've given three 5-star ratings in a row, which I only give to books which sweep me off my feet. And in-between, there have been a lot of quirky, different, unusual reads which left me with a lot of quirky, different and usual emotions. It's been a month of variety. And variety really is the spice of life.

Books:
1. "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor (GOODREADS | MY REVIEW)
2. "Days of Blood and Starlight" by Laini Taylor (GOODREADS | MY REVIEW)
3. "Dreams of Gods and Monsters" by Laini Taylor (GOODREADS | REVIEW COMING UP)
4. "Open Road Summer" by Emery Lord (GOODREADS | MY REVIEW)
5. "White Hot Kiss" by Jennifer L. Armentrout (GOODREADS | MY REVIEW)
6. "The Only One" by Magan Vernon (GOODREADS | MY REVIEW)
7. "Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" by April Genevieve Tucholke (GOODREADS | MY REVIEW)
8. "The Summer I Turned Pretty" by Jenny Han (GOODREADS | MY REVIEW)
9. "Unwept" by Tracy Hickman (GOODREADS | MY REVIEW)




Natalie's June 2014 Wrap-up




Summary: This month, I got to read 6 books. I am slightly disappointed as I was hoping for more but I've been a busy bee in June. I've mostly been reading these one's while commuting to work and back (and it was slightly awkward reading Virgin on the bus...), but I do intend to schedule a reading time for myself so I can keep up to date. Life takes over.
I was lucky enough to be given a few books over the amazing NetGalley so I have those to read and I couldn't be more excited! It was a great day when we discovered that website (thank you goes to Ms Colleen Hoover!). Anyway, as books this month go, I found some great one's! Two of them are now safely tucked into my favourites folder so that's a great discovery for me and another is one that I've been meaning to read for a very long time. (Pushing The Limits) I'm always so behind when it comes to who reads these popular books first, I'm always last.
Overall, I found some great reads, a mix of humour, coming of age, romance, and some emotional rollercoasters. I'm certainly looking forward to what July has in store for reading!

Books:
1. "Pushing The Limits" by Kate McGarry (GOODREADS | MY REVIEW)
2. "Geek Girl" by Holly Smale (GOODREADS MY REVIEW)
3. "Lobsters" by Tom Ellen & Lucy Ivison (GOODREADS | MY REVIEW)
4. "Virgin" by Radhika Sanghani (GOODREADS | MY REVIEW)
5. "Off Sides" by Sawyer Bennett (GOODREADS MY REVIEW)
6. "Left Drowning" by Jessica Park (GOODREADS MY REVIEW)