Welcome to our first Top 10 list of 2015. We've discarded some of the old traditions and introduced some new ones (look up the 2015 TBR challenge - it's excellent). But the one tradition we love and never wish to dispense with is our Top 10. So Shady's back. (Tell your friends.)

This week, we have compiled a list of authors whose books need no marketing, as far as we're concerned. These are the authors so well-loved and so well-known in our own little corner of the world, that a new release will prompt an instant buy. While illogical, this instant love of their books before they're released hasn't let us down yet. It comes down to the simplest of concepts - they write it, we'll read it. And we'll love it. The authors we love seem to always come out with incredible stories and the characters we always enjoy reading about, so there's not one shred of doubt that we'll enjoy their next release.

We all have those authors and it's always hard to only pick 10. Both of us here at The Honest Bookclub share a similar taste in books, so we've put together a joint list of 10 amazing authors. If you haven't read anything by these talented people, you should definitely look them up. We tend to worship them just a little.






1. Maggie Stiefvater




There's a legitimate reason why Maggie Stiefvater is topping my list this week, and it's not only because I'm hopelessly obsessed. While, yes, the topic of this particular top 10 implies that it's the authors' books we intend to buy, cherish, worship and honor, in the case of Maggie Stiefvater, it's more than just her books. Jack of all trades that she is, Maggie plays a plethora of musical instruments, she paints, she draws, she was a street racer, and she probably floats instead of walking when no one is looking.

Maggie Stiefvater... how do I begin to explain Maggie Stiefvater? Maggie Stiefvater is flawless. I hear her hair is insured for ten thousand dollars. I hear she does car commercials.... in Japan. Her favorite movie is Varsity Blues. One time she met John Stamos on a plane, and he told her she was pretty. One time she punched me in the face. It was awesome.
(If you do not understand this series of seemingly random references... you've probably been watching the right kind of movies. Never mind the rest of us. Walk away.)
By now, it's no secret that I stand in eternal awe of Maggie Stiefvater's brain. (Words too, but mostly brain.) Because with Maggie Stiefvater, it's not only the way she will write something, it's her unique perspective on the matter that will floor me. After the perfection that is The Scorpio Races and the absolute wonder of The Raven Cycle, I've been working my way backwards though her opus thus-far. And I pledge to buy anything she ever publishes in the future, before it's even out. Pre-order was invented for authors like these. But if I could afford it, I'd absolutely surround myself with her artwork, as well. If she ever made a music album, it would make its way on my shelf alongside her audiobooks. Anything Maggie Stiefvater, please. Forever and ever.

2. Laini Taylor




Laini Taylor is poetry in prose. Not only will she come up with mind-blowing plots which can't even be summarized in less than two hours (just for the summary, you got that right), she will deliver it in an achingly beautiful fashion. I fell in speechless love with Daughter of Smoke and Bone - speechless, because a year later, I am yet to come up with praise grand enough. Laini Taylor isn't a good plot, nor is she complex characters. She isn't even lyrical prose. She is all of this combined, and so much more which stems from these mergings. Her tales are fairytales, and her talent is a supertalent. And I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy anything she chooses to publish next, however weird it sounds up front

3. Tahereh Mafi




While on the subject of lyrical prose and stories so beautiful they're almost fairytales, there is Tahereh Mafi. To this day, Tahereh remains the only person who can make a dystopian series set in a bleak and desolate world read like the richest, most evocative poetry to ever grace the world of YA. Not to mention she can make you love a character you've grown to hate, and hate a character you've grown to love so fast that it makes your head spin. You think you know where this is going? You probably don't. You pledge eternal allegiance to this character? You probably shouldn't. But get out your tabs, your highlighters and your pens - you will want to mark down so many quotes, scenes and entire chapters. Tahereh's next book, Furthermore, is due to come out sometime in hopefully 2015. Don't think I won't be pre-ordering it as soon as it's available. The only character I pledge my eternal allegiance to is Tahereh. And she can't make me change my mind.

4. Victoria Schwab




Also known as V.E. Schwab, Victoria can do no wrong, regardless of which completely unexpected direction she takes her next book. She weaves a complex, beautiful story in the dark hallways of the Archive. She creates diabolical masterminds you can't help but love in Vicious. She migrates between parallel-universe Londons in A Darker Shade of Magic. And she makes it all seem effortless. She exists in this plane between Young Adult and Adult literature and navigates its intricacies seamlessly. She appeals to any audience she chooses. And she does it all with beautiful, rich storytelling. That's just skill. And that kind of skill doesn't go away. So you go ahead and write, Victoria. And we'll go ahead and pre-order, fangirl, swoon and rave.
And I'm not just saying that because she's giving us an Archived novella as a Christmas present. (I need more Wesley in my life!)

5. J.K. Rowling




J.K. Rowling doesn't need an introduction. J.K. Rowling also doesn't really require an explanation. I'm hardly the only one who has J.K. Rowling's future works as a standing blank-spot on my TBR shelf. "J.K. Rowling goes here," it says.
And that is precisely what J.K. Rowling doesn't want. It is precisely what she looked to avoid by adopting the pseudonym of Robert Galbraith when she began her Cormoran Strike crime series. In a way, featuring J.K. on this list is going against her philosophy. However, I am including her, and shamelessly so. Because what J.K. Rowling doesn't realize is that is isn't her name or her status that makes me fall in love again and again with the books she writes. It is just her writing. So be it Joanne, Robert or some yet-unknown alias, be it children's fiction or adult crime series, those are the books I will hunt down, cherish and enjoy time and time again. She is just that good.

6. Colleen Hoover




As with J.K. Rowling above, I've read everything Colleen Hoover has ever published. I've loved everything Colleen Hoover has ever published. And I will love everything she ever publishes in the future. No pressure, Colleen. I'd probably love your shopping list. It's very likely quirky, and I'd probably be sobbing my eyes out by that final entry, because it's so beautiful and so heart-wrenching and it makes me want to go shopping myself, but I don't think I'll ever shop as beautifully as the list made it sound.
From my initial love of Hopeless, to the boxes of tissues that kept me company throughout Slammed, to the absolute wondrous 2014 with Maybe Someday and then Ugly Love, Colleen only knows how to get better. With three books on the horizon for 2015, one mere days away (on my brother's birthday, no less), it's time to get my heart ready for the punches yet to come. This is going to hurt so good.

7. Michelle Hodkin




Michelle Hodkin was a psychologist in her past life. She may or may not be aware of that fact quite yet. As a psychology student in this life, and one with a(n un) healthy skepticism for the way we choose to go about our field, and about the tendency to diagnose and pop pills first and ask questions later, I had no choice but to fall hopelessly in love with Mara Dyer.
Not that I think Michelle will continue to write about mental institutions. For all I know, in the life before that, she was a tribal chief and her next works will center around shamans, spirit drums and recreational peyote.
The bottom line is, I'd buy it. I'd read it. And I'd love it.
Because the benefits of having been a psychologist in your past life is that your characters reflect these insights into the human psyche so, so well. And that isn't the kind of skill that goes away.

8. Suzanne Collins




Following the massive success of The Hunger Games, and my appreciation for the series and all it stands for, I am beyond curious to read what Suzanne comes up with next. Earlier this year during Book Expo America, Suzanne revealed that her next series will be aimed towards a Young Adult audience again, and thus sent millions of teenage and adult brains into overdrive. And as every single person at the convention, I found myself wondering the same thing: what will the series be about?
One thing is for certain: whether Suzanne chooses to go the dystopian route again, or whether she opts for fantasy or even contemporary, I'll be rushing out to buy it as soon as it's available.
May the odds be ever in your favor, Suzanne. We'll be waiting somewhat patiently. Although not really.


9. Stephanie Perkins



While Stephanie's not written as many books as some of the authors in this list, the Anna series is one of my favourites. I love the cute, quirky writing and characters she gave us and I can't wait to see what else she releases in the future. Stephanie seems to pick some amazing locations, sets the scene wonderfully and has a writing style that's easy and enjoyable to read for anyone. Her characters are lovable and easy to relate to and I'll pretty much buy anything she releases just to see what great stories she wants to share with us.



10. Rick Riordan



I'm quite a fan of the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus series, so there's no doubt that I like Rick's writing. He has a real talent for shooting out books so quickly and yet keeping the humorous and exciting aspect of his writing. It's easy, fast-paced and yet it's lovable for anyone of any age. After reading the series, I'll definitely read anything else he writes as I know he puts his own witty personality into his characters (Percy's sarcasm shines through as if Rick is writing about himself, which is a well-loved trait). He announced a new series late last year so for sure I'll be picking that one up!





Who are some of your own auto-buy authors? Whose new releases make you race to the bookstore the fastest, or hunt down that pre-order link ahead of time? Share with us in the comments below, or find us on TwitterInstagram or Facebook and let us know.