Soldier… Sorcerer… Savior… Who is Vhalla Yarl?

Vhalla Yarl marches to war as property of the Solaris Empire. The Emperor counts on her to bring victory, the Senate counts on her death, and the only thing Vhalla can count on is the fight of her life. As she grapples with the ghosts of her past, new challenges in the present threaten to shatter the remnants of her fragile sanity. Will she maintain her humanity? Or will she truly become the Empire’s monster?

Fire Falling is the second book in the Air Awakens Series.


slight spoilers 



I'm finding this book to be quite hard to review, as I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this one. I only just recently reviewed Air Awakens, the first book in the series, and loved it so I had high hopes for this one. I'm saddened to say, this one fell a little short for me. 

While I still enjoyed the characters and the storyline, I found that this was way too slow. I will say, and I hope this isn't a spoiler, but the whole book is them travelling. Yes, the whole thing. The book kicks off with them all heading North to fight in a battle, and it's just a whole load of them putting tents up, sleeping, training, and then packing up to go again. Not fun to read. But there was one more thing that's also included in this book. Romance.

If you're not into a slow-burning romance, then it's likely this one isn't for you. The main focus on this part of the story is the bonding and the connection between Vhalla and Aldrik, and I think it takes up a lot of the time in Fire Falling. And even though the romance does seem to be the main focus, even that is still quite slow. 

When the exciting parts, the odd scene with either a fight or something that isn't just camping, it was over so fast. I mean, you can't blink because you'll miss it. We had a few parts where you're like 'oh yes, finally! Bring it on!' and a page later, Vhalla is hurt and healing somewhere, being fussed over by everybody. 


I mean, there was one part of this book that was quite exciting. Vhalla did something that was pretty awesome, and I was cheering her on because she could save many lives and it was quite epic. She wasn't even sure she could even do it but she did it anyway. Vhalla's brave and, I have to say, I was quite proud of her.....until the pace slowed again.

I didn't rate this book too low though, I still liked reading about the characters, we had some revelations and development on some parts, and I was still entertained. I just felt myself checking the location mark a lot because it wasn't really exciting enough for me. This is a personal thing though, some people can read books this slow and not find an issue with it, but I have to have a book where something is happening all the time. This one could have been shorter or at least have moved a little faster, maybe a few more fight scenes thrown in.

We also had some deaths, which still sadden me when I think about it. You've been warned. *sob*

There's not actually a lot I can say for this book, so I'll be finishing this up. I will be reading the next book, I don't think the slow pace of this one will put me off. Mostly because we had a hell of a cliffhanger. When I read that, I was scared and worried, and desperate for the next book, like GIVE IT TO ME NOW.


I don't have any doubt that the next one will be much more thrilling, so I'm looking forward to it's release on February 11th. Bring it onnnn!



We want to hear your thoughts! Have you read this series yet, or considering it? I wouldn't let this book's review put you off, it's still a good read, it's just extra slow for me because I'm impatient for excitement. I want it all nowww!
We'd love to hear from you, whether it's about this book, the series, the author or anything you're reading or anticipating. Even just to say hello! You can either drop by the comments down below or find us at any of the following social outlets: