“I'm not sure what possessed me to do it. Maybe it was the impossible expectations I faced, maybe it was my own self-loathing. But I just knew I needed something different to happen. I needed someone... something... to derail me from my current path. Otherwise, I would become lost... a hollowed out shell of a man. So I did it. I approached her, then I pursued her, then I made her mine. And my life was saved...”

Ryan Burnham is the privileged son of a U.S. Congressman and captain of his university’s hockey team. While he is on the verge of fulfilling his dreams to play in the NHL, his parents want him on a different course. One he is expected to accept for the sake of his family’s public image.

Forced her to abandon her music career after the heart breaking death of her parents, Danny Cross exists on the opposite side of the tracks from Ryan. She is struggling to make her own way, working two jobs, attending college part time and volunteering in a homeless shelter. She is on a mission to build her own success.

With a chance meeting, their vastly different worlds collide, causing each to evaluate whether they are truly on the correct path to self-fulfillment and happiness. Can their relationship survive? Particularly when others are against them every step of the way. A lot can happen in just ten short days...




-This review contains spoilers-




I wish I could rate this higher than a 2 but I really can't.  It wasn't a very long book anyway as everytime I turned the page on my Kindle, the percentage went up so that always proves how short it was. And although it was a short story, it still took me ages to read it. I really struggled to get through it and I think I know why.


Not a lot happened. 



I mean, the story was okay but it wasn't an amazing story. It lacked something and I think it was something to do with the length of the book. Things could be written with more description, less rushed, and with a longer time in which the main characters fell in love. It was an insta-love storyline and our main characters were in love by day 10 - hell, they were by day 1! 



Which brings me onto my next area - the romance. She served him and his friends in the diner she works at and she got a rude comment from someone in the group. Danny, being the smarty pants that she is was being all sassy and proved she had brains. That was it, Ryan was just infatuated with her. Puh-lease, that's not enough for me to believe it at all. 

I know stories like these aren't realistic but I just felt it was lacking. They went on a date and he was in love with her because of how kind and generous she is because she helps out in a homeless shelter. I felt the author tried to hard in making her this uber-amazing girl who can do no wrong, she was a little too perfect. Especially as she's this girl who has purple hair and piercings. 
She doesn't even raise her voice or get angry when Angeline (this rude-ass girl who used to date Ryan) is being a total bitch to her. She just says 'Well I'm sorry you feel that way' and that's that. I'm sorry, most people would stand up for themselves and tell her to fuck right off. I would. (Maybe that's why I don't have a guy like Ryan...) 


I like my main characters to be strong, to stand up for themselves and to not have to rely on a man.  They have a misunderstanding and Danny breaks up with him. She can't live without him, her usually perky self can't even get out of bed. Danny, get up, make yourself a cup of coffee and stop taking orders from other people. Move on. You knew him for 10 days, love.



They don't seem to ever study either, it's always sex, party, fight and go to work. I don't recall it saying if it was summer vaycay?



The cover is slightly misleading. She doesn't really play the violin, she just can't and wishes she could do it because of something that happened in the past and she doesn't have her violin anymore. He plays Hockey once at the end I think.

If you're going into this expecting some kind of musical-sporty story then you'll be disappointed. It's just something they both happen to do when they're not too busy having sex. 


And speaking of the sex. Here comes my pet peeve...Danny loses her virginity to Ryan and I have to say, she didn't waste any time. She waits for that special person all her life to give it to and, well, she meets Ryan and I think it was around day 3? Bye virginity! And it didn't even hurt much. They had sex and she was like 'oh that was amazing, let's do it again' and they proper go at it and I mean..go at it. She's now all of a sudden, a sex goddess. After they have sex, he's like 'woahh that was amazing, the best I've ever had'. Just... stop. Then he says 'sorry I went a bit wild and that' but she replied saying something along the lines of 'are you kidding? It was amazing, let's do it again!' girl, please. You only lost your virginity a day a go, you can't be that amazing at sex. Most NA books are guilty of this.



And pet peeve number two comes into play at the end of this book - the drama thing. Right, bascailly (and take note, this all happens in like 2 chapters near the end) Ryan has an enemy on his hockey team and he tries to rape Danny... I wish authors wouldn't keep using something as serious as rape to get a good story. He didn't get that far though because Ryan shows up (they always show up on time) and pulls him off of her. He beats him up and Ryan gets arrested. Wow, talk about drama. Then, to make it EXTRA dramatic, Ryan's mother (who hates Danny) says that if she dumps Ryan and never talks to him again, she'll help Ryan with getting away with the criminal record and helping him get into the NFL. She does it, of course because our heroine is dumb. Why did she listen and take the advice of a woman who hates her guts? Beats me. It's obviously all a lie. 



Anyway, all is fine with the world at the end.



I did like the epilogue though, with the proposal at the game, I knew she was cringing as it was so public and I cringed with her! I liked it. It was very cute. I was pleased to see Paula again though, she was cool. I like the idea that Danny breaks or flushes a cigarette if she swears.



I still rated it 2 stars though because it was easy to read, the story was simple and entertaining, the characters weren't amazing as they still had and did things that annoyed me, but I've certainly read worse ones. 







Have you read the story of Danny and Ryan yet? Share your thoughts!