For this Top 10 Monday, we have chosen to peruse our bookshelves, revisit old (and new) favorites and choose our ten favorite quotes that originated on pages of books. Mostly we have found, to no one's surprise, that narrowing the list down to only ten is a Herculean task. But we've done our best, we've made some sacrifices, and here we are!

What with our ever-expanding bookshelves and our ever-growing "read" piles, it's necessary (and intuitive) to say that these are our current, and not our all-time favorites.

Unlike with most upcoming Top 10 Mondays, we have agreed to attach no explanations as to why these were the quotes we picked, or why they resonated so deeply with us. The choice was made partly because we wished to allow the quotes to speak for themselves (and leave them open to interpretation) and partly because it's difficult to take them out of context at times.

We also sincerely hope that some of these inspire you to pick up the book which features the quote and come to appreciate the full impact of the quote within its pages, and many others like it.

As always, these are in no particular order. And as always, expect variety.




Natalie's Top 10 Favorite Book Quotes


"'You love me, Real or not real?' I tell him 'Real'"
 - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

 *

"When in doubt, go to the library" 

 - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K Rowling


*

"Griffin can't be a dad, Kiera. He just can't. He blows pot into puppies faces, Kiera! Can you picture him around a child?"
- Effortless by S.C Stephens



*
"Fuck Briarcrest Academy, and fuck you all."
- Very Bad Things by Ilsa Madden-Mills

*

"So you take the ocean, I'll take the Lake

- Slammed by Colleen Hoover 

*

"The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well" 

- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K Rowling 


*


“Whatever happens tomorrow, we had today; and I'll always remember it"
 - One Day by David Nicholls

*

"Not all those who wander are lost" 
- The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R Tolkein 


*

"You can only give your heart awat once, after that, everything else will chase your first love"
- The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher


*

"Thinking something does not make it truue. Wanting something does not make it real"
 - The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin




Lexie's Top 10 Favorite Book Quotes



" 'A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,' said Jojen. 'The man who never reads lives only one.' "

 - A Dance With Dragons by G.R.R. Martin



*
"I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction."


 - Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi



*
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

*
"Time is the substance I am made of. Time is a river which sweeps me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger which destroys me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire which consumes me, but I am the fire."

- Labyrinths: Selected Stories and Other Writings by Jorge Luis Borges

*
"Everything is more beautiful.
 
Because we're doomed.
 
You will never be lovelier than you are now.
 
We will never be here again."

- The Iliad by Homer



*

"The bad news is, people are crueler, meaner and more evil than you've ever imagined.
 
The good news is, people are kinder, gentler and more loving than you've ever dreamed." 

- I Wrote This For You by pleasefindthis


*
"Not all those who wander are lost."

- The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien


*

"Lock up your libraries if you like; but there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind." 

- A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf


*

"I am one of billions. I am stardust gathered fleetingly into form. I will be ungathered. The stardust will go on to be other things someday and I will be free."

- Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor

*

"That is where my dearest and brightest dreams have ranged — to hear for the duration of a heartbeat the universe and the totality of life in its mysterious, innate harmony."

- Gertrude by Hermann Hesse