Welcome to the bookish community! Here's a bunch of recommendations! Let us know when you're done, so we can discuss!

... Are you done yet?

Book recommendations are both a blessing and a curse of every person deeply immersed in this community. From book bloggers to book vloggers, from casual to passionate readers, the moment that Goodreads/Amazon/Blog/Youtube profile has been created, recommendations will start pouring in. Some will be good. Some, not so good. Some will recommend books based on their enjoyment rather than your own reading preferences. But you learn to roll with the punches, because - believe us - the recommendations will never stop. For every new release you long to grab, there will be five "you must read this" situations for books which are already out. So that lesson in diplomacy you slept through in Government that one time in school? This is probably the perfect time to brush up on it. For while we may love some of the books we are suggested, others we will have to turn down.

This Monday, we're showcasing the books most recommended to each of us that we still haven't read despite the insistence. Some we are eagerly looking forward to. Some, not so much. That lesson in diplomacy? We're still learning, too.









1. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green



Forgive me, world, for I have sinned (and not yet read TFIOS). Following a gasp, a series of exclamation marks over someone's head and a general speechless staring, people tend to shove this book in my hand, tap me on the shoulder and send me on my merry way. Then proceed to ask how it's going on a daily basis.
For very personal reasons, however, I just can't handle the content of this book. It is not that I'm staying away from it to ire the world, truly. I've read Paper Towns and it was quite decent. I am just a labile sort of person and TFIOS is far beyond my emotional capacity.


2. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan




With Percy Jackson, the situation is quite different. I am ready, willing and able to dive into the series, and all but sure that I'll love it. Ironically, I believe I appreciate good Middle-Grade literature now more than I used to when I was in the "target audience age range" for it. Plus, from all I hear, Percy sounds like a sassy, hilarious protagonist - which is one of my favorite kinds. What's stopping me when it comes to Percy Jackson is absolutely no budget for it, and ten books. I like to marathon my series, and I'm yet to find a person who can afford to dive into Percy Jackson by purchasing the whole collection.


3. The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken



Here's all I know about The Darkest Minds: kids with superpowers. Concentration camps. Liam is adorable. (In no particular order that I am aware of.) And while I can't in my right mind say that concentration camps could ever sound "awesome", the premise of this story sounds intriguing, not least because now it is a finished trilogy which I can marathon. Also, it was written by my namesake. Also, it makes people throw books at me when they hear I haven't read it. I enjoyed the super-humans in Shatter Me, and I enjoyed them in Pivot Point. It's high time I gave The Darkest Minds a chance.


4. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak



I received two copies of The Book Thief around my birthday a few months ago. Hint taken. I believe it is the greatest novel ever, I honestly do. Everything about it screams modern classic in the making. I just need to steel myself for the emotions which await me - especially at the fabled makes-grown-people-weep ending.


5. Legend by Marie Lu



I own book 1. And I haven't read it. And it's an absolute travesty, and I should be publically executed, or whatever the dystopian society in the Legend series does with those who oppose it. Because that would be appropriately ironic. Legend, however, has been so massively talked up for me, around me and to me that I'm scared of my own expectations with this one. They are a little bit too high right now for the book's own good.


6. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson



Much like A Song of Ice And Fire and/or The Lord of the Rings series, Brandon Sanderson's books - for example, this one - is the sort that has amassed a die-hard fandom which thrives on epic battles and violence and might cut me if I were to dislike it. You can understand my trepidation. Once I have disarmed them in their sleep, however, I fully intend to get my hands on The Final Empire. And I am about 99,9% sure that I'm going to like it. My fantasy kick is nodding in agreement. As far as kicks can nod, anyway.


7.  The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings




Lindsay Cummings is a speshul unicorn of books and bookish things, and I love gore and I love this concept and I love everything. Just wait until I can afford The Murder Complex. You'll be sorry you ever recommended it. I won't shut up about it for a second.



Sometimes as a blogger I struggle with rating a book and I think to myself "on a scale of one-to-Neil-Gaiman, how good was this for me"? In other words, I'll get to this one as soon as I can get my hands on a copy, I promise.


9. The Coincidence of Callie And Kayden by Jessica Sorensen




Personally, I am not a big appreciator of New Adult series which stretch on into infinity. I believe a series will always have sidekicks and friends and minor side characters, and while they do all surely have their own stories, perhaps a book for each and every single character isn't entirely necessary. As a series-marathoner, I don't like feeling like I'm abandoning it after I've stared, but I'm seldom if ever interested in those side characters' stories. And this series is rivaling Abby Glines's Rosemary Beach in terms of endless-prolongings. Also, I "burned" myself on Jessica Sorensen paranormal series called The Fallen Star last year. So you can't blame me for being apprehensive.


10. The Host by Stephenie Meyer



Now, here is the thing about The Host: I believe recommendations should be given not based on what you personally enjoyed, but what might suit the predilections of the person to whom you're recommending a book. As far as The Host goes, I cannot for one moment imagine that the people recommending it have my tastes in mind while doing so. Because while I didn't hate Twilight, one of the biggest issues I had with it was Stephenie Meyer's writing, and this is unlikely to have changed dramatically in this second attempt at it. Also, the plot simply doesn't sound like something I would enjoy.








1.  Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead


This is, without a doubt, the book I'm recommended to read the most. Why haven't I read it? I don't like vampire books. I haven't even read Twilight, so I want people to stop telling me to read this. One of my friends even bought it for me just so I'd read it but I don't want to. I'm being honest here. 
Maybe I should read it to make everyone stop, but vampires... vampires in high school... eh. One day...


2. The Lord of the Rings by J. R R Tolkein




"You haven't read Lord of the Rings yet? WHY?" I just... haven't. When you were all reading that, I was reading Harry Potter over and over again. I wasn't ready to leave Hogwarts yet. BUT I will read it, I promise. And I will finally see the movies... I know, I know. Where have I been?


3. A Game of Thrones by George R. R Martin


I'm not only told to read the book but to watch the TV show. I don't really have the time, if I'm honest.  I know what it's about and I actually did try and read the first book but...it's not for me. I keep telling people this but it's always the same 'keep going, it gets better, promise" well, I don't have that kind of patience. Plus, I've been told to read many other books that were over-hyped and ended up disliking them, so some people's recommendations I don't trust.
Maybe in the future but it's not likely to be anytime soon.



4. The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare


I do have this book on my Kindle, I got it absolutely ages ago, but I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I've heard mixed things about it, I feel like it's a 'you either love it or hate it' series so I'm quite apprehensive on if I want to start it yet. Especially the fact that I've been told it involves incest which turns me off. Plus there's a million books.

Maybe one day I'll read this, but not right now.


5. Cinder by Marissa Meyer



I've been told over and over again to read this, and I'm a failure. Still don't even own Cinder. I guess the idea of robots or cyborgs isn't making me want to pick it up but I will. I just don't know when that will be.



6. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher





Let me just say something... I don't like books about people dying of an illness or suicide. That's why I didn't enjoy The Fault In Our Stars. It's just a personal preference, I'd rather not read it. I'm sorry, I won't read this book for a while.



7. Paper Towns by John Green




If you know me at all, you'll know that I'm not the biggest John Green fan. (VERY unpopular opinion, I know, but not everyone can like the same thing!) I've read three of his books and I'm still not a fan. So no, I won't read another one, and that includes Paper Towns. I'm sorry.



8. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater



I do actually have this book, I get recommended this book a lot and I absolutely do intend to read it. I think I'll be picking it up when I'm caught up on my reading at the moment, I have a lot of half-finished series at the moment, as well as a couple of ARCs. Hopefully in the summer I can get started on The Raven Boys! Finally!


9. To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han


I have a physical copy of this book, and I was going to pick it up, but my co-blogger recommended I wait until book two is about to come out. Apparently is has quite the cliffhanger!



10. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey



I do actually own this book on my Kindle, I've just not gotten 'round to reading it yet. Maybe around the time the movie comes out,  I might pick it up. Sounds good, though!










Now, if any of these books listed above happens to be your personal favorite, here's a perfect opportunity to talk unsuspecting strangers (AKA us) into reading them! Or, alternately, if you're like us and permanently hounded by requests, recommendations, threats of violence regarding what you should read, feel free to share the books you are recommended the most in the comments below. Or find us on all manner of social media and chat with us there.