As the "video destination for all things YA and teen books", the Epic Reads YouTube channel is a must stop on the internet highway for YA enthusiasts. It's no secret that we love these ladies - it's only last week in our Top 10 Monday that we extolled their virtues and did that thing where a small bookish community (that'd be us) recommends a much larger bookish community and bows out, Captain Obvious style. We couldn't help it, really. The Epic Reads website is a thing of wonders. Earlier this week, the community behind their YouTube channel created an official tag - one with insightful questions we couldn't wait to answer. Which brings us to this point.

The thing to mention is that here at The Honest Bookclub, we would be ready, willing, able and moreover enthusiastic to answer each of these questions with some variation on the Harry Potter theme. Who would we meet? J.K. Rowling. Who would we have tea with? J.K. Rowling. So when an answer in this tag is answered differently, keep in mind - we really also mean Harry Potter. Or J.K. Rowling. Now proceed.







1. If you could invite one author and one of their fictional characters to tea, who would you invite and what would you serve them?


The Honest Bookclub: J.K. Rowling and Hermione Granger. We'd serve them treacle tarts and pumpkin juice.

Lexie: I'm thinking it would be the height of hilarity to have Tahereh Mafi and Warner drop by my place for a chat. We'd discuss fashion, because obviously. I know precious little about fashion, but all the more reason. We'd be snarky and sassy together, and I'd serve them black coffee and pomegranates. (Pomegranates, because they're delicious and they taste like spoilers. Find Tahereh on YouTube. You'll get it.)

Natalie: S.C. Stephens and Kellan Kyle are welcome any time for coffee. Because coffee. It's Kellan, what else would I serve him? Anyway, I'd probably just stare at Kellan, fangirl and ask S.C. questions. Did I mention stare at Kellan? 


2. What book do you wish the author would write a prequel for?


The Honest Bookclub: Harry Potter. (Give us a prequel, any prequel. Dumbledore's youth. McGonagall's youth. Hell, Voldemort's youth. The Marauders. The first war. The inception of the Order of the Phoenix. Anything!)

Natalie: I'd love more from the Unearthly series. A prequel from any character and I will read it, I'm really not fussy!

Lexie: Surprise, I'm choosing The Raven Boys. For a seventeen year-old, Gansey has had an incredibly full life. In his hunt for Glendower, he's visited just about every corner of the world and seems to have met many interesting people along the way. I'd be delighted to read about Gansey pre-Blue and pre-Cabeswater. Although I'd still miss both of those elements if I did.


3. Which two characters (NOT from the same book) do you think would make a good couple?


The Honest Bookclub: After a lengthy deliberation, we've decided to blow everyone's minds and choose Ron and Hermione. (YES from the same book!)

Lexie: Umbridge and Satan. They're cut from the same cloth.

Natalie: Harry Potter and Katniss Everdeen, maybe? Hey, I've got to put something down! I thought about this question for ages, and all I could get were these two. 
I think they could bond over the fact that they've both had a rough time in life and are both hated by a very evil man. They can relate to each other.  



4. If you ran into your favorite author on the subway and only could say one sentence to them, who is it and what would it be?


The Honest Bookclub: "Jo, you have made our childhoods and we pledge our eternal allegiance."

Natalie: "Colleen Hoover, PLEASE teach me. Teach me how you do it. I'm but a simple peasant with an idea"

Lexie: One sentence? Ha. That's not how we author-stalkers think. I'd stick to her like a glue and follow her (and by her, I mean Maggie Stiefvater) until I got her routine down. And then I'd think of a perfect thing to say when I staged my convenient run-in at a time when there would be more time to chat than the mere one sentence. And we'd become best friends and drive our rally cars into the sunset.... I'm devoted, that's all.


5. What book made you a reader and why?


The Honest Bookclub: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Because it's Harry Potter (and the Philosopher's Stone).

Lexie: Okay, this is where I have to say Harry Potter, despite our joint response already stating it. The first proper book I remember reading was The Hobbit, but it was most definitely the Harry Potter series which made a reader out of me. Because... what the joint response said. Because it's everything.

Natalie: Pushing Harry Potter aside, because we'll all end up putting that, I will say The Hunger Games. When I was young, I literally only read Harry Potter. I'd re-read it and re-read it, commiting myself to this world and never wanting to leave. Once the movies were ending, I decided to actually read something else *gasp*. I was recommended The Hunger Games and that made me realise that there are so many more books out there with fantastic stories. I dipped my toe into the pool of YA and a book monster was created. Thanks, Suzanne Collins!


6. Incendio! Your bookshelf just caught on fire! Show us the one book you save.


The Honest Bookclub: I will go down with this shelf... ♫♫♪♪♫♫♪♫

Natalie: This is a hard one. I guess if my Kindle is safely in my bed (a lot of the books I have on my shelf are on there), it would probably be my signed copy of The Hunger Games. When the movie came out, I went to the London premiere. After waiting (no joke) 10 hours in the cold UK air, standing on my little feet and being pushed and shoved by other fans, I managed to get Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, Elizabeth Banks, Toby Jones and Chris Hemsworth's autograph (he was there to support his brother. So sweet). I went there for Josh...*grumble* but I can't complain. He was the most popular, what can you do?
So the book is my pride and joy. Blood, sweat and tears for this. Worth it, though!




Lexie: All. All of them. Don't think I haven't thought about this before. I have contingency plans that would blow your mind.


7. Which dystopian world would you want to live in if you had to choose one? Why?


The Honest Bookclub: Hogwarts, obviously. What do you mean, it's not a dystopian world? It is when Voldemort starts wreaking havoc.

Lexie: None, please? :) In all seriousness, it would probably be safest to live in the world of The Giver. Preferably if I could be The Receiver and therefore not brainwashed.

Natalie: I agree with Lexie - none, please. I guess if I can live in the castle with Prince Maxon, safe and sound, post-The One, I would live in The Selection. 


8. What is your most epic read of all time?


The Honest Bookclub: Need we say it?

Natalie: I'm still buzzing from reading the Shatter Me series for the first time, so I would have to say that. I didn't expect much because I tend to dislike a lot of the big trends sometimes (typical), but I was completely blown away by this series. Everything about it was fantastic!

Lexie: When you say "epic", I think "fantasy", and my favorite fantasy novel of all time (besides the obvious) is Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. It's poetry in prose, it's intricate and detailed, the world is humongous and it spans decades and continents, features angels and demons and a whole lotta yes.


9. Also, tag some friends to answer these questions!


We're bringing this tag into the blogosphere rather than the vlogosphere, so this is no meager task. With great power, after all, comes great responsibility. We officially tag any of the girls from YA Bound, Amour from Amour's Books, Val and Jess from Stuck In Books, and Angela from The ReadingCave. We also tag absolutely everyone who ever stumbles upon this tag and feels like doing it. Tag! You're it!


10. Lastly, do a book shimmy.








The Warner Brothers said it best - that's all, folks. But leave us a comment below to let us know if you'll be doing this tag, or find us on all manner of social media (we're taking over the internet; it's a thing).