For months Clara Gardner trained to face the fire from her visions, but she wasn't prepared for the choice she had to make that day. And in the aftermath, she discovered that nothing about being part angel is as straightforward as she thought.

Now, torn between her love for Tucker and her complicated feelings about the roles she and Christian seem destined to play in a world that is both dangerous and beautiful, Clara struggles with a shocking revelation: Someone she loves will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

In this compelling sequel to Unearthly, Cynthia Hand captures the joy of first love, the anguish of loss, and the confusion of becoming who you are.


contains spoilers!

TO READ THE REVIEW OF UNEARTHLY, BOOK ONE, GO HERE

This book series is on my list of 'favourite series of all time' and I know after I've read book three, I'll be saying the same thing. I absolutely adore it. If you're reading this and you've not read the series yet - which you shouldn't be doing really, as this is a spoilery review - go pick up a copy of Unearthly and read it. It's fantastic!

I want to start by saying that this book had such a different tone to the first one. Obviously because it was so much more depressing because of the theme of death and loss of a loved one. 

Maggie. Oh Maggie. I'll miss you so much! You're an angel, please keep showing up because we all need you, especially Clara. She is such an amazing woman and we learnt so much from her, she was patient, kind and very intelligent. She'll be missed. I have no doubt that she'll still show up in the next book, whether it's in memories or as an actual appearance. Can't wait!

AND THE PARTS WITH MAGGIE AND MICHAEL, so adorable. It was great how they were still in love after all they've been through and after all that time. I'm certainly curious about Samjeeza and where he comes in.   

I knew that the grave wasn't Tucker, and for some reason, I had an inkling that it was Maggie. That breaks my heart. The way Cynthia Hand wrote the parts when she was deteriorating was incredibly sad, and she certainly had the right feelings and emotions to write it all so effortlessly. Definitely pulled at my heart strings. sob

Now the love triangle? It's not bad at all. I know that when people hear those dreaded words, they're put off, but I think it was handled very well. Cynthia Hand didn't make it dramatic or silly, it was realistic. Her relationship with Tucker was well written and incredibly sweet, he gives her that normality that she pines for and they get along so well. He'd take her hiking, fishing and show her all these amazing things and I think that was great. I certainly have a soft spot for him, Tucker's really good for her and I can't wait to see how it plays out in book three, considering they broke up due to her going to university. 
I hope he has a role in Boundless because if he's not, Tucker's certainly a character I'd miss. Also if she does pick him in the end, I hope there's something that can help regarding the fact that he'll die a lot sooner than she will if they ever marry. Give us something for Tucker, Cynthia!

The thing with Christian is played out so differently, I see them more like 'partners in crime' as they're both two out of four of the 'Angel Club' (which I adored!). I feel like they're good friends, they understand each other but they're not compatible. That's just my opinion though, most of the time that they talk, it's always about their 'purpose' or angels but could they spend a whole day together just talking about other things? I feel like they can't. I do love Christian though, he's a sweetheart.

Angela. We need to talk about Angela. She's amazing! As I'm listening to the audiobook,  I love how the narrator does her voice as it just shows how cool and mysterious she is. I definitely can't wait to see what happens in Boundless for her, she really opened up more in this book and because of her persistence and want for knowledge, she was our learning curve, she helped us get a lot of the information we needed. I hope you kick some arse, Ang! She's badass and she better get a good ending. 

This book was simply brilliant and I can't wait to see how this series ends. Going to admit, I am fearing for some people's lives but we shall see. I know the end will make me upset in some way, but I know I'll be having a book hangover once it's all over.

Five massive stars. 

NOW ON TO BOOK THREE.



GoodReads:

Have you read the Unearthly series yet? Let us know what you thought via the comments or on social media: